PDA

View Full Version : resorts & food

shordiebecka
02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I think I've eaten pretty much everywhere in Disney at one point or another- but only in the parks. I have never eaten at a resort, and know very little about what resorts offer what for food and dining. Could someone give me a quick rundown of what resorts offer the best food, and what in general do different resorts offer for food? I know the values have food courts, so they are obviously out of the questions. I am staying at AKL so I know the places to eat there. Thanks!

mom22gls
02-24-2009, 01:37 PM
The Beach Club has a Clam bake dinner buffet, my kids really like. I don't eat clams, but there are lots of other choices. Ohana at the Poly is really good, and kid-friendly. They have games for the kids to do, and they bring the food to the table, so it is relaxing for the adults. The entrees are grilled meats and seafood, and they bring you all you want. Highly recommended. Of course, there's Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, which is a fun place, if you are into character meals. For a more upscale experience, the California Grill, at the Contemporary, is really good. The Wilderness Lodge also has a family friendly restaurant, Whispering Canyon Cafe, which is loud and fun, and the food is pretty good. There is also Artists Point, which is more upscale, and really good. In short, any of the Deluxe level hotels will have good dining choices.

turkeymama
02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
We really enjoy Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge. The food is mostly BBQ type things. The atmosphere isn't for the faint of heart though. If anyone in your group is shy or easily embarassed, skip it.

We do lots of character meals. Most of my recommendations would be centered on that. 1900 Park Fare is at the Grand and their supper is pretty good although it seems to have declined. Chef Mickey's and Cape May Cafe are both good for breakfast. I think Chef Mickey's had the bigger selection. And my best friend swears by the character breakfast at the Polynesian.

petesimac
02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
If you like buffets with some things you may have never tried before, I recommend Boma at AK lodge; the atmosphere is really nice too!

jengold29
02-25-2009, 03:25 AM
There are some great restaurants in the resorts. Yachtsman's Steak House at teh Yacht Club, Jiko at the AKL, The Grand Floridian Cafe, Spoodle's on the boardwalk, etc.

It's nice to eat outside of the parks, I feel like people are more relaxed, and there is less rushing to make a fastpass or grab a spot for fireworks.

danyoung
02-25-2009, 06:13 AM
shordiebecka, welcome to the wide world of resort dining! Some of the best restaurants on property are in the hotels, starting with the incredible California Grill up on top of the Contemporary Resort - my favorite restaurant anywhere on the planet. Start with a sushi appetizer made by one of the top sushi artists in the world, followed by a tamarind marinated beef tenderloin that you can cut with a fork. And try to time things to where it's either sunset over the Seven Seas Lagoon or fireworks time in the Magic Kingdom, where you can go out on the 15th floor balcony and enjoy the show complete with music piped in to speakers on the balcony. Just an incredible experience!

You read about 'Ohana above. I just want to add that they bring out some of the most incredible appetizers. They start you with a pineapple bread loaf, then bbq chicken wings, pot stickers, teriyaki noodles, etc. You can very easily fill up on the appetizers, but DON'T! The main course is beef, chicken, and shrimp, all served at your table piping hot off of skewers. You can eat as much as you want, and even more when they come back for seconds or thirds. Prepare to be totally stuffed after this meal, but totally happy!

mkraemer
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM
shordiebecka, welcome to the wide world of resort dining! Some of the best restaurants on property are in the hotels, starting with the incredible California Grill up on top of the Contemporary Resort - my favorite restaurant anywhere on the planet. Start with a sushi appetizer made by one of the top sushi artists in the world, followed by a tamarind marinated beef tenderloin that you can cut with a fork. And try to time things to where it's either sunset over the Seven Seas Lagoon or fireworks time in the Magic Kingdom, where you can go out on the 15th floor balcony and enjoy the show complete with music piped in to speakers on the balcony. Just an incredible experience!

You read about 'Ohana above. I just want to add that they bring out some of the most incredible appetizers. They start you with a pineapple bread loaf, then bbq chicken wings, pot stickers, teriyaki noodles, etc. You can very easily fill up on the appetizers, but DON'T! The main course is beef, chicken, and shrimp, all served at your table piping hot off of skewers. You can eat as much as you want, and even more when they come back for seconds or thirds. Prepare to be totally stuffed after this meal, but totally happy!

Darn it, Dan. Not only am I now misty-eyed over your description of the California Grill and seeing the fireworks, I am awfully hungry too!

TinaMouse
02-25-2009, 07:45 PM

One of these days, we are going to be there at the same time, Dan, and we can enjoy our favorite restaurant together!!!!! As much as I like the pork tenderloing with polenta, I think I'll try your tamarind beef next time.....

danyoung
02-26-2009, 03:34 AM
I'll admit that since the first time I visited the CG and tried this cut of beef, I just can't bring myself to try anything else. I'm sure it would be terrific, but that would be my one chance a year to eat that incredible cut of beef, and I don't want to waste it!

dawz1026
02-27-2009, 05:38 AM

I remember you learned about overeating on your last meal there huh lol:p

danyoung
02-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Absolutely right! I was planning on going into the MK for parade & fireworks after dinner, but I was so stuffed that I just wanted to go back to my room and beach myself!

nutsformickey
02-28-2009, 11:47 AM

So Dan,
If I am going to be there on Mother's Day for dinner (May 10) this year what time would I want my reservation to be in order to see the sunset over Seven Seas Lagoon?

danyoung
02-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Ummm, are you wanting me to look up the local sunset time in Orlando for May 10th? Offhand, I'm not sure how to do that. I'd think you could google and find a site that has this kind of info. As well as I know the CG, I don't have sunset times memorized for any given year.

nutsformickey
03-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Ouch! Sorry I asked.

danyoung
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to be nasty there. It just seemed like this is the kind of thing that you could find out on your own, and the kind of thing that isn't something that I'd know off the top of my head. Ask me more about the CG - I'll babble on forever on that subject!