PDA

View Full Version : Garden Grocer [Order Lead Time]

SillyOldBear
02-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Hope I'm posting this in the correct spot.

I'm spending time doing some planning for our June trip today and we are planning on ordering from Garden Grocer. Does anyone know how far in advance I can place an order? I couldn't find the info on the website.

Also, we are staying at POP and are trying to avoid renting a fridge each day. Has anyone tried using the foam coolers? We are thinking primarily for yogurt, OJ, cream cheese etc. We are staying for seven nights.

Does anyone know if POP has an ice machine?

Thanks

GusMan
02-24-2009, 07:37 AM
We have placed orders with GG with as little as two weeks lead time. Never had a problem and highly recommended.

Yes, POP, as well as all Disney resorts have ice machines.

Ive used foam coolers before for different things and to be honest, I would not really trust them to keep dairy products cool enough for storage past a few hours. (ie: being away at the parks, for full day.) Others may have different experiences, but that is just my opinion.

mom22gls
02-24-2009, 10:35 AM
If you are driving down, it might be worthwhile to purchase a small frig at a discount store, use it while you are there, then take it home. You should be able to get one for less than $100, which would not be much more than the rental fee, depending on how long you plan on staying. Not only can you use it for your breakfast and snack items, but it's also good for stashing leftovers from restaurant meals, which you can reheat at the food court. Gardengrocer is a good service, and it's a big savings to buy bottled water by the case, and breakfast stuff. You can also order non-food items, like sunscreen.

SillyOldBear
02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
We are flying.
We are using the counter meal service during our stay and primarily want things like OJ, water, cream cheese for breakfast in our room.

Leslie
02-24-2009, 01:02 PM
If anyone in your party has a medical condition with meds that need refrigeration then the frig. is free.

stan4d_steph
02-25-2009, 06:57 AM
You might also consider taking a soft-sided cooler to use instead of buying a styrofoam one that will just be thrown away after you're done using it. You can pack things in the cooler on the way down and back.

adkinsfamily
02-25-2009, 11:06 AM
I priced some items with Garden Grocer online and found most of them to be much more expensive than we would pay for the items at home. I have a 10 month old and was considering using their service to have "baby items" delivered to our hotel. The formula and diapers, I thought, were super expensive. Plus, you also have the delivery fee. I am missing something. Even if I have to pay $25 to check an additional bag on the airplane will all of these items, I would still come out ahead.

Leslie
02-25-2009, 12:46 PM
When we go to Disney or anywhere for vacation for that matter, we always pack our dry foods should I say and just buy the cold when we get there. Last trip to Disney I went to our local Goodwill and bought a cheap hard shell suitcase and filled it with crackers, bread, juice boxes, candy, peanut butter, and table wear etc...It was so much cheaper to pay 25.00 to check the suitcase from the airport then to pay the high prices from the local delivery store. So we defiently made out ahead by doing this and will be doing it again in November. We just ordered the cold food and it worked out just fine.

GusMan
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
I dont think anyone is going to deny the fact that the prices are not as cheap as what you would find at home. However, we never thought their prices were unreasonable. Paying $2.50 for a bottle of water in the parks is unreasonable. Heck, buy a case of water and a case of soda and even with the fees, you would still be way ahead of the game.

For DVC members - they are still cheaper than going through the DVC Grocery Service as well.

Agreed that if you had items that were "consumable" in nature, bring them yourself and then you have room for other things for the way back. We still do that.

We found that by using Garden Grocer, we save almost 1/2 of what we would normally spend on breakfasts and save on time too! I cook in the villa while the kids get ready.

TinaMouse
02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree. I don't think that GG's prices are THAT outta line. Convenience goes a LONG way with me. I use them for breakfast foods and snacks. I spent something like $60 (with delivery fee) for breakfast, snacks, and my beloved Pepsi and caffeine free Diet Pepsi. It lasted an entire week.

I HIGHLY recommend them.

adkinsfamily
02-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Leslie - Thanks so much for the tip on the hard-sided suitcase!! :) I will definitely try to pick one of those up. Maybe my cost concerns are just for the types of items that I would have ordered. The cans of formula that they offer are $12 more than ones that I can get here. So, 2 cans and I have paid for my extra bag. I am glad that others have found this service beneficial. Maybe we will try it when we are out the "baby" phase.

Drince88
02-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Just watch the weight on that extra bag - and also the fee - the airline keep changing their fees on those. But at $12/can of formula, I think you'd in good shape to pack it (or ship it to yourself).

adkinsfamily
02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
I am sorry, I know that this is off topic... Cathy - Do you have experience shipping things to your hotel? I was also considering this option.

Drince88
02-26-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't - but I know people have done it. Let me find a thread or two on the topic....

ETA: Here are a couple of threads that talk about shipping items to the resort.
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=115303&highlight=shipping

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=84995&highlight=shipping

adkinsfamily
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks again Cathy!!! Sounds like shipping down a box of stuff may be the way to go!!:)

TinaMouse
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I do it almost every trip. I just got Owner's Locker last trip, so I don't think I'll need to do it anymore. It was easy, easy, easy. I UPSd it.....It was MUCH cheaper than USPS...