PDA

View Full Version : The Quick Service Dining Plan

coronado_g
01-03-2009, 11:16 PM
The new Quick Service Dining Plan looks really great to me. I didn't do the dining plan on my solo trip last November because the thought of being tied down to reservation times was just too hideous for me (plus it was too much for food for one person). Any input from those of you who are going to try the Quick Serve?

oregontraveler
01-04-2009, 08:49 AM
I WAS going to go with quick serve, save myself 10 bucks a day. But when I thought about having to eat hamburgers & chicken sandwiches for a week
(shudders) Then I realized how many great restaurants are in the parks &
hotels. Upgrading to a regular DP is worth it, if you can work the system.
Lots of threads & columns about the DP. Also just found out that most snacks
under $4 qualify for the plan. Any questions on those, ask a CM.
If you don't want to be tied down with an ADR, (it does take some planning,
I know) I'm not sure if a doggie bag would be a good thing for then either.

GusMan
01-04-2009, 09:31 AM
But when I thought about having to eat hamburgers & chicken sandwiches for a week
(shudders)
While in some cases, it takes a little research, there are some real good CS places out there that dont center their offerings on the traditional CS fare. Places such as Sunshine Seasons at Epcot, Flame Tree BBQ at AK, and Columbia Harbor House at MK are just examples of good, flavorful offerings that are a little different.

So, while I would normally agree that that the regular DP has it's place, I can see where the CS DP also has its place, especially when some kids are priced as adults and would not get the full value of the regular adult DP.

petesimac
01-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I agree with having to eat hamburgers, chicken fingers, etc. for the entire time I'm there; plus, for us at least, the quick service plan was only $300 less than the full plan (that's for the three of us), so we'll be doing the full plan (table service, quick service, and snack per night). I loved it back when it included appetizer AND dessert AND gratuity (although we always added more to the tip), but I looked at it backwards and forwards and we still will save money using it. I can't wait!!!!!!

scoobydooby
01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Even without having to book in advance for CS meals I think the planning involved to manage half way decent choices on the CS Plan would be awful. My view of the CS eateries at Disney is poor though, particularly at the parks. How many burgers can one person stomach?

turkeymama
01-04-2009, 05:12 PM
I think there are enough CS places out there that you could get away with the Quick Service plan and not eat burgers every day. I tend to look at places like GusMan mentioned. Sunshine Seasons in Epcot has plenty of good options, as do many of the World Showcase CS locations. Animal Kingdom has Yak and Yeti and Flame Tree, which are both nice alternatives to your average burger and fry joint. Hollywood Studios has some nice sandwich alternatives, but nothing fancy. Pizza Planet is fine for my kiddos, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way for it if I was alone. And Cosmic Ray's at MK has some good options as well.

The more I look it the more I think we could pull of the Quick Service plan.

coronado_g
01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
As for myself, I'm thrilled to see the new Quick Service option. The number one reason I didn't opt for the Dining Plan on my visit is because I absolutely refuse to be tied down to a reservation time. All year I work hard at two jobs. That's 6 days a week where my life is determined by the clock and where I have to be on time. No way am I going to put myself thru that on vacation. The quick meal on the run is the ideal plan for me.

danyoung
01-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Well, that's why there's more than one way to skin a cat! For me, the fine dining available at WDW is just as important as the attractions. But I don't like being restricted in what I can get for free vs. what I have to pay for, etc. I did the DDP one time, and it just wasn't for me. Others are very happy with it. Seems like you'd be perfect for the quick service DDP. Enjoy!

petesimac
01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, that's why there's more than one way to skin a cat! For me, the fine dining available at WDW is just as important as the attractions. But I don't like being restricted in what I can get for free vs. what I have to pay for, etc. I did the DDP one time, and it just wasn't for me. Others are very happy with it. Seems like you'd be perfect for the quick service DDP. Enjoy!

Yup, and that's a completely different question, dining with or without the DDP; but as for table service versus no table service, I'm with you! The highlight of our day (s) when we go is to go into a nice restaurant, take a load off, talk about our day, enjoy a great meal, recharge our batteries, then hit the parks again. I wouldn't do it any other way. And again, despite a few places where the choices are good, the options for counter service are just not varied enough for me to do the quick service plan for 10 days, especially as a vegetarian (but I do love me some Columbia Harbour House -- I want to go to there!).

danyoung
01-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I think I could find enough good stuff to eat if I were restricted to just the quick service locations, with Cosmic Ray's and Columbia Harbour House in the MK, The Sunshine Seasons Food Faire and the quick serve places in Japan, China and England in Epcot, and the wonderful Flame Tree BBQ in DAK. DHS does indeed seem to have burger places for their main quick service. But along with the hotels and food courts I think I could manage to eat well for a week. But again, I'd be denying all of those amazing experiences at the sitdowns, like the Liberty Tree, the Bistro de Paris, the Brown Derby, the new Yak & Yeti, and of course the incomparable California Grill. Geez, I'm HUNGRY!!!!

TinaMouse
01-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Backlot Express at DHS has a really good grilled turkey and arugula sandwich. FYI.

I'd have a hard, hard time eating on just the QSP, but only because I have so many favorites at the sit down and, like Dan, feel that a sit-down, nice meal is part of my trip. In fact, it MAKES my trip. However, I think there's a HUGE group of people for whom the QSP is just perfect. I'm glad they have this option now.

Yes, I agree that you should be able to find other stuff rather than hamburgers. Here are my favs:

Animal Kingdom--
Flame Tree. EXCELLENT BBQ

Epcot--
Cantina de San Angel. Decent Mexican
Boulangerie Patisserie. Fabulous pastries, sandwiches, and quiches
Norway Bakery (name escapes me). Sandwiches and pastries

MK--
Harbor House. Good salads, tuna sandwiches, soups
Cosmic Rays. EXCELLENT ribs. I had a good BLT salad there last trip.

DHS--
Backlot Express--aforementioned turkey sandwich
Flatbread Grill--good BBQ pork sandwich (although I know Drince doesn't like this place, but I've had 2 good experiences here)

Resorts--
This is where the QSP could be great or bad. I would think that you would be able to do REALLY well at
Port Orleans RIVERSIDE--carved turkey, etc.
Pop Century--great flatbreads and fish entrees, fried chicken, etc.

Good luck!

Drince88
01-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Flatbread Grill--good BBQ pork sandwich (although I know Drince doesn't like this place, but I've had 2 good experiences here)

I don't think I tried that - maybe I'll give it a chance this trip (if I ever figure when/which parks I'm going to!)
In the Studios, I do like the ABC Commissary for their cuban sandwich and black bean-based salad.

GusMan
01-07-2009, 08:21 AM
In the Studios, I do like the ABC Commissary for their cuban sandwich and black bean-based salad.
We finally got to try the ABC Commissary during our last trip and found it pretty good for both breakfast and lunch items. (Better for lunch items, though...)

Cantina de San Angel, as Tina said, is also pretty decent. (And is pretty speedy as long as you get in the right line, eh Tina? :) )

We really liked the food court at both POR and SSR. Lots of selection at POR with a great bakery! SSR was a little limited in choice but the food was fresh with good portion size.

The Maya, the food court at AKL, was also rather good.

So there are non-traditional options out there where this very well may be a deal for some, especially those who have tween-aged "adults."

TinaMouse
01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
No KIDDING. I was in THE longest line ever at the Cantina. GusMan and the Mrs. got through their line at least 10 minutes before I did and we got in line at the same time!

Cathy, if you end up there, PLEASE let me know what you think.....It's not often you and I disagree on here!!:D

mcky fan
01-10-2009, 07:20 AM
We are planning on doing this new DDP for two reasons. For one we hate being tied down to ADR's and 2 they took away the appetizer and gratuity. When you add in what you are paying to the DDP and have to add in tip, that will take away what I can spend on ther things. I think the new plan will be a lot more flexible for our park planning needs.

mnmkrio
01-10-2009, 04:16 PM
We chose the quick service plan for our trip in March. I agree that with some planning and research you can find alternatives to burgers and chicken fingers. That said, we do enjoy a sit down, so our plan is to use that $200 gift card to offset the cost of our table service meals. A bonus for me as the vacation planner is that without having to have ADR's every day, I don't feel every day needs to be planned out. We will have our touring plans, but can sort of decide while we are there where we want to go. The thought of that freedom sort of makes me giddy!!:)

jazzysmom
01-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I am hands down a total foodie, so I will try to remove that from tainting my comment. (chanting Deluxe, deluxe, deluxe in my head) I swear I think as much about the yummy food I am going to east as I think about the fun I am giong to have! :eek:

Usually, the basic dining is just perfect for most people...just crunch your numbers and your personsal likes etc, and you will come up with the best solution. Have a blast!