PDA

View Full Version : all churros - and no popcorn?

Pages : [1] 2

olegc
01-03-2009, 02:57 PM
so - i am trying to figure out on one of the busiest weekends of the holiday season Disneyland decided to only open one or two popcorn carts but open ALL of it's churro carts? Are we really that far into being fat and wanting sweets that churro's outsell popcorn? Does popcorn not sell well in the cold? is it too expensive to sweep up all the bits of popcorn so you don't want to have to have a bunch of sweepers employed out and about?

Town Square, tomorrowland, frontierland, and initially NOS were all closed at the beginning of Friday. Some of the popcorn carts in DCA were also closed. Churros abounded, though, at $5.00 a pop. Where's George Lopez when you need him?

jenniebean
01-03-2009, 03:46 PM
That's so peculiar... Maybe there was some ridiculous shortage of popcorn boxes?

Maus
01-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Was this just early in the day or all day? It's common for the popcorn carts to be closed in the morning. I guess Churros are more of a breakfast food!

Malcon10t
01-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Town Square, tomorrowland, frontierland, and initially NOS were all closed at the beginning of Friday. Some of the popcorn carts in DCA were also closed. Churros abounded, though, at $5.00 a pop. Where's George Lopez when you need him?We were there most of Friday, and saw plenty of popcorn stands (but no caramel corn.) And the churros I bought were $3. (Yes, we bought a few.)

bennette
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Clearly they are preparing for our visit tomorrow. There is no need to open any vendor stands except for those that sell churros and corn dogs.

ChurroGirl
01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Here here on the Churros!

I am sorry for your lack of popcorn though, it is very tasty stuff.

I am the ChurroGirl for a reason!

foolishmortal
01-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Oh I hope not!!! I'll take the popcorn! Sorry CG! I'm not a churro Kind of kid!;):p Besides the buckets are far too useful to pass up!

backsthepack
01-04-2009, 06:05 AM
While we were there Tuesday through Friday we saw plenty of popcorn stands. All over the freakin' place! I was glad to find churros easily as well, our son eats about 6 a day if not more. The churros we purchased were 3.00, not 5.00.

olegc
01-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Was this just early in the day or all day? It's common for the popcorn carts to be closed in the morning. I guess Churros are more of a breakfast food!

nope- all day. We came back to the train station around 5pm and I tell you for certain that the town square cart was closed. I also noticed that in DCA there did not seem to be an abundance of popcorn either. since we spent so much time in crowded walkways (honestly that took more time than anything else) we tended to examine the surroundings a but more.

tchatters
01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Well that's odd because we spent most of Friday (from 8am to 10am in DL and 10am to 5pm in DCA, then back to DL until 7:30) back and forth and my son was counting the popcorn cart turners. We spotted a Santa, a Yeti and several others. There were at least 7 carts open that we saw... one smack dab in the middle of Sunshine Plaza in DCA, the one near Small World in DL and near Matterhorn, the one near the castle on the Main Street side,

olegc
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Well that's odd because we spent most of Friday (from 8am to 10am in DL and 10am to 5pm in DCA, then back to DL until 7:30) back and forth and my son was counting the popcorn cart turners. We spotted a Santa, a Yeti and several others. There were at least 7 carts open that we saw... one smack dab in the middle of Sunshine Plaza in DCA, the one near Small World in DL and near Matterhorn, the one near the castle on the Main Street side,

yes - open were yeti, oogie (hm), castle (santa). closed were Dapper Dan (train station), Rocketeer (TL), and one other in DCA. my point was not (i thought) that they were all closed. the point was that many of them were closed yet ALL of the churros are open - so to get churros more than popcorn (and I thought Yeti was closed in the AM). At some of these locations the popcorn is next to the churro - and i had to do a double take to make sure that I was seeing it right because I saw a line and then I saw the popcorn cart and turner.

CindyR
01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I want to know why they don't offer caramel corn in DL? It drives me crazy! I collect the popcorn buckets, and don't care much for the regular popcorn so I either have to head to DCA to buy it or just accept I'm not going to eat all of it.

On Sunday, I wanted to buy the new bucket with Disneyland on it and we didn't know if the bucket would be the same in DCA or if there would be a similar design with DCA. We got there and went to the stand near the entrance of the Hollywood Backlot and noticed it was the same bucket, but the stand had hardly any caramel corn left. So we decided to go to one of the other popcorn stands, went to the one by Toy Story Mania and the one by Soarin' and neither had the bucket!

So we decided to wait for the stand in front to make its next batch, which the cm said would take about 40 minutes. We came back about 25 minutes later, she was adding stuff still so we left. Came back at 40 minutes, there was a huge line, and no caramel corn left! I was so disappointed. Anyways, my point is, they should have more popcorn stands in DL, and have caramel corn.

jenniebean
01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
I want to know why they don't offer caramel corn in DL? It drives me crazy!
Don't they? I've gotten caramel corn from the stand next to the Nemo line... it's how I got the Nemo bucket I wanted so badly :D

tchatters
01-07-2009, 06:44 AM
yes - open were yeti, oogie (hm), castle (santa). closed were Dapper Dan (train station), Rocketeer (TL), and one other in DCA. my point was not (i thought) that they were all closed. the point was that many of them were closed yet ALL of the churros are open - so to get churros more than popcorn (and I thought Yeti was closed in the AM). At some of these locations the popcorn is next to the churro - and i had to do a double take to make sure that I was seeing it right because I saw a line and then I saw the popcorn cart and turner.

I'm guessing that the humidity we experienced was not helping sell popcorn! We bought some on New Year's Eve and within 3 minutes, it was cold soggy and not good Disneyland popcorn like we love. Churros are probably more resiliant to foggy misty yuck.

CindyR
01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Don't they? I've gotten caramel corn from the stand next to the Nemo line... it's how I got the Nemo bucket I wanted so badly :D

Was it in the buckets that are prefilled? I've never bought one of those, I thought I saw a sign that it was chocolate flavored or something? The other day though I saw a cm moving a cart with prefilled buckets and the sign said kettle corn so I'm guessing they change the flavors? Still... if is is the prefilled bucket I'm thinking of, it wouldn't be hot like it is at the carts! It'll do though.

Pr1ncess365
01-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Don't get me wrong I love the churros at Disneyland, but if you ever get to go to Redondo Beach pier in Redondo Beach,CA (just in case your not from Southern Cali) They have a churro place that has the best churros EVER!. Last time I went they were 3 for $5. They are so yummy and you can even get them with fillings (rasberry, strawberry, etc)

Churrogirl has to try them.

danyoung
01-09-2009, 01:17 PM
I've gotten spoiled by eating popcorn at the AMC Theaters where you can drown it in butter & salt (yummmm!). The popcorn from Disney just tastes bland. I'll slam some churros, though!

Rockchalker
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I've gotten spoiled by eating popcorn at the AMC Theaters where you can drown it in butter & salt (yummmm!). The popcorn from Disney just tastes bland. I'll slam some churros, though!

I too love the movie theater popcorn drowned in butter & salt (and a M&M or 2 if the hubby is looking the other way!). If the popcorn at DL is fresh I like it as well.

jazzysmom
01-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Sounds like heaven.

There can never be too many Churros.;)

Sorry you didn't get your popcorn though!!!

Karin
01-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I've decided no more churros at Disney parks for me. Not when I can get one twice the size for 1/3 the price at Costco...

ChurroGirl
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
But Karin, they just dont taste the same! And when they are cold, from costco, they are not good at all!

jenniebean
01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Ever had churros in Spain? They're more funnel-cake like & come with a bowl of melt hot pudding-like chocolate for dipping... I can't say I wouldn't mind that as an option in DLR.

& I didn't realize the popcorn turners were unique! Something fun to look for next time, I suppose :)

dznyphreak
01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Ever had churros in Spain? They're more funnel-cake like & come with a bowl of melt hot pudding-like chocolate for dipping... I can't say I wouldn't mind that as an option in DLR.

& I didn't realize the popcorn turners were unique! Something fun to look for next time, I suppose :)

I loved that melted, concentrated chocolate stuff. Mmmmmm...
Dry, cold churros with warmed milk (that's right, not warm, but warmed) for breakfast though are disgusting. They don't put cinnamon sugar on them there. :(

danyoung
01-12-2009, 06:57 AM
I've decided no more churros at Disney parks for me. Not when I can get one twice the size for 1/3 the price at Costco...

I guess the same could be said for many Disney park experiences. Yup, Disney has things priced WAY too high, pretty much across the board. But the experience of eating a warm churro in the shadow of Sleeping Beauty Castle simply can't be had anywhere else. For me anyway, most times the overall experience is still worth the high price.

Karin
01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
I've not had a cold churro at Costco.

Now if DL sold Funnel Cakes... (do they and I just haven't seen them anywhere???) then I'd be in trouble!