PDA

View Full Version : Snack options on the Dining Plan

MrsGrumpy
01-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I have spent the better part of today in front of the computer, trying to decide if we really should or shouldn't do the dining plan. DH wants to do it. I'm not completly sold on it. I have looked over menus for every table service and counter service that looked good to us, and priced out what it would cost out of pocket. It looks like the DDP may actually save us money.

The dining plan on the Disney website is sooo vague. Under snack options, the following is listed:

Frozen Ice-Cream Novelty, Popsicle or Fruit Bar
Popcorn Scoop (single-serving box)
Single Piece of Whole Fruit
Single-serving Bag of Snacks
20 oz. Bottle of CokeŽ, Diet CokeŽ, SpriteŽ or 20 oz. DasaniŽ Water
Medium Fountain Soft Drink
12 oz. Coffee, Hot Chocolate, or Hot Tea
Single-serving Prepackaged Milk or Juice

So, my questions are:

What other snacks can I get that may not be listed above?

Can I get my very first Dole Whip using a snack credit?

Can I get Chocolate Mousse in France with a snack credit?

How about the other bakery items in Epcot?

Can I get something from Ghirardelli in DTD using a snack credit?

How about the Pop Century food court? What can I get for a snack credit there?

Thanks! :)

turkeymama
01-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can get the chocolate mousse in France with a snack credit. I have done it 4 consecutive years, and it is yummy every time!

We have found that lots of things under $4 qualify as a snack. I think pretzels count, and at Sunshine Seasons they counted a roll as a snack one time. DH just had to have an extra carb with his meal. Most of the bakery items in Epcot and Magic Kingdom will likely count, and I have no idea about Ghirardelli. If I'm not mistaken, I think we got an Uncrustable in the food court of Caribbean Beach Resort as a snack.

KJSJpipe
01-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I was told on our last trip that almost anything that is a single serving and under $4 is considered a snack. I think it used to be almost under $4 regardless of size and it bit them in the butt. (I know you used to be able to get a 1/2 gallon of milk now you have to get individual size.)
When we have had left over snack points we would go to Goofy's to get snacks to bring home. They have little bags of pretzels and other snacks and those giant rice krispy treats are one credit. Pretzel rods are one rod = one credit.
A good use of snack credits is breakfast items at the bakeries in each park for a pastry/a drink (hot or cold). Many of the pastries are huge and can be shared if you are looking for a lighter breakfast.

firetwirl07
01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
We went Feb/March 2008 and got dole whips and bread sticks with marinara at the POP using our snack credits.

GusMan
01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
To add to what was said above, if for some reason you are not sure, or want to know if that certain goodies can be included, just ask. (Not all qualifying items will have the little "ddp" logo next to it.) They will be more than happy to tell you especially if it helps speed up the check-out process later. :)

Since not many places in DTD (if any??) are on the dining program, I doubt that you can use a snack credit at Ghirardelli's.

Wendi
01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Yes you can get a Dole Whip or a Chocolate Mousse.

At the food court you can get just about any side item in the fridge that is individual sized and under $4.

Some great uses for snack credits are breakfast items: Bagel (which you can then toast, butter, or add peanut butter, jam, and/or cream cheese from the fixin's area); single serving cereal bowl with a small milk; oatmeal which you can add your own toppings to; pastry; bowl of fruit.

You can use them for cookies, bags of chips, rice crispy treats, drinks, ice cream bars, frozen bananas, root beer floats, egg rolls, frozen lemonades, slushes, baked potatoes, fries, onion rings, small bags of nuts, dried fruit, or pretzels... lots of stuff!

mickeymom5
01-03-2009, 05:58 AM
We stayed at ASMu this past September and we got biscuits and gravy on a snack credit.

Another great thing for breakfast was two of us would share a breakfast platter and you can choose two bottled juices to go with it = 1 CS.

They have nice signs everywhere to let you know what is a snack and what is a CS, but I agree they should make this clearer on their site or send you a brochure before you go...so us "extreme" planners can have access to this info before our trip! :)

Mermaid
01-03-2009, 09:36 AM
When we were there pretty much everything under $4 was a snack. The only thing we wanted that wasn't was some pastries from France in Epcot. Our better uses included make-your-own treat at Goofy's, dole whips, and a box of 6 (8?) Enteman's donuts from the Pop food court. We also used them for sour balls, gummy candy and pretzel bags on the last day to use up the credits.

That is good to know about the bagel. I will have to check that out!

Wendi
01-03-2009, 04:49 PM
You can't do the box of donuts anymore... such a bummer because that was Max's favorite thing!!! Only single serving items are included now.

MrsGrumpy
01-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Wow!

Thanks for all the great feedback! :) That's great that we can get some breakfast items as snacks. Bummer about the doughnuts, but understandable.

Where is Goofy's? Downtown Disney?

If you guys think of anything else, please add to the list.

Thanks very much! :fez:

Drince88
01-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Where is Goofy's? Downtown Disney?
Yes, Marketplace. I think it's fairly close to the Christmas store, but towards the water.

Jodi
01-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Last year, we used most of our credits on packaged snacks to take home. We ate so much on the dining plan, and had cereal in the room for breakfast, that we rarely needed snacks during the day.

We used a few when the kids wanted ice cream, and DH and I sampled baked goodies from Norway and France. (Thus began DH's love for school bread)

We ended up with bags of pretzles, candy, and cookies and some chocolate dipped Mickey krispie treates. (I think we spent 10 snack credits in the gift shop before we had to get on the ME bus to go home!)

MrsGrumpy
01-12-2009, 01:48 PM
School Bread is another one of those things that I've read a lot about on here. I'm glad we can use a snack credit for it. :)

danyoung
01-13-2009, 09:00 AM
If you're lucky enough to be visiting during the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, there are items at almost every booth that are considered snacks. The one time I did the DDP a few years ago, I saved up all of my snack credits and used them to create a fine meal at the F&WF, and only paid for the cups of wine. Mmmmm, what a great meal!!!

MrsGrumpy
03-29-2009, 07:21 PM
A good use of snack credits is breakfast items at the bakeries in each park for a pastry/a drink (hot or cold). Many of the pastries are huge and can be shared if you are looking for a lighter breakfast.
OMGosh! I was just looking at pictures from someone's trip report, and there was a picture of a gigantic cinnamon roll and chocolate croissant from Starring Rolls at DHS. Are those snack options? <drooling>;) :p

DVCmom
03-29-2009, 07:49 PM
I would ask...as it has been said almost anything under $4 that is single serving is a snack. That includes alot of choices...all over the world!!! Don't just go for the usual popcorn and ice cream. You can make lots of good snacks in every park. The store at the top of the Contemporary and the Main Street bakery have some neat items to make a box of goodies to take home (or to your hotel). The Contemporary had a better selection at the time.

Drince88
03-30-2009, 02:12 AM
OMGosh! I was just looking at pictures from someone's trip report, and there was a picture of a gigantic cinnamon roll and chocolate croissant from Starring Rolls at DHS. Are those snack options? <drooling>;) :p

I'm not sure if they're snack options - but they also have VERY good apple turnovers there!

littlej
04-02-2009, 09:03 AM
If you're lucky enough to be visiting during the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, there are items at almost every booth that are considered snacks. The one time I did the DDP a few years ago, I saved up all of my snack credits and used them to create a fine meal at the F&WF, and only paid for the cups of wine. Mmmmm, what a great meal!!!

I've done this too a few years back. Anyone heard whether they'll let us do it this year? I just booked a week with the free dining plan during the festival. I remember before that the festival items that were available using snack credits were clearly marked with that little DDP symbol on the menu boards.

DisneyDustin22
04-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I know they did it last year as I cashed in most of our snack credits on some mighty tasty snacks during the event! I would only assume it would be the same this year.