PDA

View Full Version : Dinner show [comments?]

Mtnthumper
12-29-2008, 08:01 AM
We have only ever done the Luau at the Polynesian. And we really really like it every time...the show is fun, food is great and the atomosphere is great. I LOVE the polynesian in general! What is everyone's opinion on the other shows. Of the choices which one's would you recommend and why? Plus' and minus' to each of them and what are your recommendations? It is my husband and son (5 yrs at time of trip). My son is a very good diner and loves shows! We tried to get ADR last trip for Hoo dee doo musical revue but were unable so we did the Luau again. Even if the Luau is the best that is ok. We just wondered what other Disney-fanatics thoughts were :)

GusMan
12-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Havent done the Luau but have done Hoop-Dee-Doo and loved it. We ended up sitting upstairs and thought the view was great since we could see everything. There is some interaction from the characters which was fun as well. The food was delish and they were very accommodating with my wife's allergies.

jenniebean
12-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Hoop-Dee-Doo was awesome... my dad booked it even though my mom, sister, & I were reluctant, but we ended up loving it! It was cute & campy & I personally got a LOT of character interaction (my sweet 16 trip = a fabulous photo of the male cast members all giving me a kiss). I could see a five year old having a real good time... plus it's an opportunity to dress up like a cowboy!

Wendi
12-29-2008, 07:37 PM
We just did Hoop Dee Doo Revue for the first time and we loved it. It was a lot of fun, and interactive, which we really got into. The unlimited Sangria helped too!!!

jenniebean
12-29-2008, 08:23 PM
The unlimited Sangria helped too!!! Whaaaat? Looks like I'll have to go back in a few months ;)

marisag
12-30-2008, 04:08 PM
The Hoop De Doo is a lot of fun! We also enjoy Mickey's Backyard BBQ but I know not everyone enjoys that one. Dancing with the characters is lots of fun for the little ones.

dawz1026
01-07-2009, 07:36 AM
Hoop de doo is bbq right?

Chris M
01-11-2009, 02:55 PM
We love the Hoop De Doo. The food is out of this world and the show will have you in stitches.

Wendi
01-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Hoop de doo is bbq right?

It is Fried Chicken, Ribs, Mashed Potatoes, and Beans... followed by Strawberry Shortcake.

kendog80
02-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I also loved the Hoop dee doo, of course we also used to stay at the campground which was conveinent (before DVC!:). I consider it on par with the luau. Although obviously different themes as far as pure entertainment value/food quality we liked them both equally. We also got lucky with being chosen for crowd interaction. At the luau we got to learn some hawain dances (i.e. make fools of ourselves), and at the Hoop dee my wife got to be the can-can dancer.

Oh I also enjoyed the all you drink Sangria;)

mikala
05-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Date: 10 days at WDW in Sept/Oct
Whom my usband, myself and our 2 toddler girls

open to any but not sure which way to go...thinking we would not choose th luau becuase we have been to hawaii 4 years in a row, and always do at least one luau

stan4d_steph
05-21-2009, 06:41 AM
open to any but not sure which way to go...thinking we would not choose th luau becuase we have been to hawaii 4 years in a row, and always do at least one luauI merged your thread with another recent thread on the same topic. See above for responses.

The Hoop-Dee-Doo is a popular show for families. You might consider that one as an alternative to the luau.

mikala
05-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the help. What is the actual show difference between Hoop de and the BBQ? And food difference?

Thanks

Drince88
05-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Hoop de Doo is

... sassy Cast Members serve your countrified feast. Between laughs, chow down on pails of all-you-care-to-eat American favorites like fried chicken, smoked BBQ pork ribs, seasonal vegetable, baked beans, fresh baked corn bread and strawberry shortcake. Unlimited draft beer, wine, sangria and soft drinks are included for Guests 21 years of age or older (proper ID required).
Backyard BBQ is
Enjoy a delectable buffet featuring all your beloved country vittles: barbeque smoked ribs, smoked chicken, cheeseburgers, hotdogs with all the trimmings, corn on the cob, watermelon and more

From the descriptions on the Disney page of the BBQ (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/dining/mickeys-backyard-barbeque-dinner-show/), it sounds like it's a character-centric show, vs Hoop which doesn't have characters kids would recognize from any animated film/tv show/etc. But the dining plan pdf doesn't have the 'character' icon next to the BBQ, so that could be wrong.

It also says the BBQ is 'seasonal' but that the 'season' is March to December - why don't they just say it's closed in Jan/Feb? But it's also only two days a week.

dngnb8
05-21-2009, 10:50 AM
We enjoyed the Luau. The show is entertaining, the food is good. Its great for kids.

I think it is worth seeing.

scoobydooby
05-21-2009, 12:32 PM
My DD, then 6, loved Mickey's backyard BBQ because she adores Minnie and she had continual character interaction over a long period. This was her favourite night of the trip but I think it is geared at those younger children. The food was good BBQ food we thought, nothing fancy but we all ate loads so it can't have been bad!