PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a Very Nice stroller to Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2 3

emmagirl
09-10-2008, 02:08 PM
We are off to Disneyland in a month - so I am trying to get all our stuff organized. (thanks everyone for all your advice on my earlier post). My question now is - do we take our BOB jogging stroller - which is our only stroller - OR should I go buy a little stroller. We absolutely love our stroller, my 20 month old is comfy, it has lots of storage space for diaper bag/snacks/jackets, it's easy to manuver and if my 6 yr old gets tired, he can sit in it also. I would be sad if we lost it and am not sure of any policies about locking the stroller. I would just like other peoples opinion - This was our one splurge when our 2nd baby was born, since we already had everything else saved from our first, and we truly like it. Part of the reason for getting it was to be able to take it on trips (we've taken it camping, to the beach and stuff like that, but it's always been "in view").
Thanks in advance.
p.s. I KNOW Disneyland should be safe - but I've never been and like to know what other people have done in the past.

Tan Da Man
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
no I would never take "an very nice stroller" to disneyland

adriennek
09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm going to answer the question in your subject and then answer the question in your post.

A very nice stroller? Sure. That's all I ever had was Peg Peregos and my most wonderful Maclaren.

Would I take a BOB Jogging Stroller? No. I hate jogging strollers at Disneyland. They're too big. I've annoyed many a poster with this position, so please don't take it personally. I think they're a bad thing. Disneyland walkways are often too narrow to handle them and they take up a lot of space and you're already dealing with people who are rude to people with strollers and jogging strollers tend to make that worse.

I have to run so I can't link to my Maclaren now but it's the bestest stroller ever for running around town and I love it at Disneyland for my toddler/preschooler.

Adrienne

mycutekitties
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I like the strollers you can rent in DL. They push very well!

Pirate Princess
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't because typically "very nice strollers" are "very big strollers" and are a pain for you and others around you. We used to take cheap umbrella strollers because 1. they might be stolen 2. EASY to pack up and load onto the DL train and Monorail (can be done in two seconds) 3. easier to maneuver than bigger strollers 4. easier to get out of a crowd of 100+ strollers in the stroller parking lot (once you find it lift over your head and carry the stroller over top of the others) no having to untangle it from the others and push them out of your way so you can roll it out 5. with an umbrella stroller you are less likely to run over and ruin other guests day

One time we brought our more "expensive" umbrella stroller (Jeep brand... not that pricey but still not the $5.00 one) and caught someone stealing it. We chased after them and they acted like they didn't know it was ours or something... bad lying.

adriennek
09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I like the strollers you can rent in DL. They push very well!

But you can't take them with you when you leave the parks... ;)

Adrienne

DisneylandMom
09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm not familiar with a BOB stroller. So, I don't know how big it is. But, it is really nice to have an umbrella type stroller that you can maneuver easily and collapse quickly when you need to board a shuttle, train, monorail etc.
The only drawback with an umbrella stroller is that most do not recline, or barely recline, when your child falls asleep. I guess there are pro's and con's to both types. But for us, our Maclaren umbrella stroller was perfect!

HisKid
09-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I would take a nice stroller, but I would NOT take a jogger if there was ANY way for me to get around it. I have a stroller that I take sometimes that is a step up from a true umbrella stroller, but is still very lightweight, and also reclines (and ALSO important to me, has cupholders and a large, sturdy basket)

Wobble
09-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I just looked up BOB strollers and those are quite large; there are some walkways in Disneyland that you might have trouble on. I think the idea of taking a smaller, less expensive one (like others have mentioned) would be in your best interests, especially because those look like very swanky strollers and while it is Disneyland, sometimes even dishonest people go to Disneyland. :(

fronkfam
09-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry to jump in the middle here, but what can people recommend if we have to take a double stroller? We could do a sit-n-stand stroller as the kids using it will be 1 and 4, but our 4 year old can't walk all day, so we need something for both of them. We will also be pushing our older son in a wheelchair, so it isn't an option to take a separate stroller for each child. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

HisKid
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
FWIW, I just got all shineyed looking up strollers, and there are some really good deals on lightweight Combi strollers on Amazon right now, with really good reviews.

HIGHLY recommend the Sit N Stand with the 1/4 combo. I have a 2/4 combo, and it works great. The 4 wants to be off most of the time, but cannot possibly walk the WHOLE time, particularly at night. If we are going for a short time, I bring the small stroller I mentioned before (and silently rejoice). Anything more than that, we bring the sit & stand. The ONLY time it has been an issue was when we went truly ALL day, and both wanted to completely conk out. I think we ended up putting the 4 in the stroller and carrying the 2 back to the car, but it was a LONG. WALK. BACK. That has only happened once though, and we go quite frequently.

momuvseven
09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
What I do is take a full size stroller (Graco) for the baby and all our stuff and then I have a small umbrella stroller that is folded up and hung over the handles or stuffed into the basket below. Then I just use that when my preschooler gets tired of walking. I can push both for a short distance but typically one of the older kids or dad will push a stroller too.

I would not hesitate to take a nice stroller to DLR but have honestly never had one. I have had stroller envy many times but have never gotten around to making a big splurge.

If your back is up to it you can carry the baby in a sling or B'Jorn and put the preschooler into the stroller.

fronkfam
09-10-2008, 07:24 PM
HIGHLY recommend the Sit N Stand with the 1/4 combo.

Which Sit N Stand do you have? This is sounding like a good option for us.

sunfun94
09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Whats a 1/4 combo?:confused: We are borrowing a sit/stand stroller for our girls when we go and our oldest is very excited about it though she wont be in it im sure very often less the evenings...normally we just use the nicer umbrella type for the youngest

fronkfam
09-10-2008, 07:27 PM
What I do is take a full size stroller (Graco) for the baby and all our stuff and then I have a small umbrella stroller that is folded up and hung over the handles or stuffed into the basket below.

I would love to be able to do this, but since we'll also be pushing a wheelchair, I think it would be pretty impossible for us to push another two strollers. Not sure if we could carry our one year old, but that is a thought! Thanks!

genericeric
09-10-2008, 07:48 PM
First, would recommend taking a smaller stroller. 2nd, please look out for the peeps around you. Got sore heels from Strollers and wheelchairs being steered by people more interested in the scenery than my personal safet yLOL

3rd, HisKid, its been killing me, you aret the HisKid who posts on Phoeix preacher as well are you?

We loved our Graco Stroller, but you couldnt turn the darned thing at all, the umbrella we eventually bought for just such an occasion.

Is there any way the 4 year old could ride on the lap of your older child in the wheelchair? My wife loved holding our kids and all when I puched her around DL the last time.

PanFan
09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
From a strictly CM perspective (and one who doesn't have any kids, at that), I am not a fan of big strollers in the parks, especially jogging strollers. There are plenty of times when we need to move parked strollers around (before the parade, when they're blocking an entrance or walkway, etc.) and the jogging ones are VERY difficult for us to maneuver through the narrow walkways. As far as double-wides, I don't mind those AS much and greatly prefer them to double-longs. We really like most typical umbrella strollers and Sit N Stands, as long as they have a standard (read: easy to figure out) braking system. We often move two or more at a time, and it's just about impossible to do that with the jogging strollers.

Take that for what it's worth (I realize your decision will not be made primarily--or even remotely--based on the preferences of a CM who could potentially move your stroller somewhere different from where you left it), but there you go.

emmagirl
09-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. We'll probably end up buying a little stroller - renting isn't really an option, since we'll be walking back and forth from Hojo with my little guy when he needs a break.

Just one last thing - after reading all the comments - I don't really see how my jogger is bigger/wider than the double side by side. I would think that the side by side would be harder to move around narrow walkways. Our stroller is pretty easy to manuver (the front wheel swivels, which makes it nice). I guess it's just longer....anyway...that doesn't really matter.

Thanks again everyone - and now to look for a convinient umbrella type stroller:) Just 1 month and we are off to Disneyland!!!!

Drince88
09-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Whats a 1/4 combo?:confused:

I took it to mean a 1 year old/4 year old combination of kids -but then I know just about nothing about strollers, and it could mean something in that lingo.

HisKid
09-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Whats a 1/4 combo?:confused: We are borrowing a sit/stand stroller for our girls when we go and our oldest is very excited about it though she wont be in it im sure very often less the evenings...normally we just use the nicer umbrella type for the youngest

Drince is right. The previous poster had said she had a 1yo and a 4yo. I have a 2yo and a 4yo. I was just trying to post more quickly. Sorry for the confusion. The one thing about the Sit & Stand is that your storage is much more limited, so keep that in mind when you pack. You have space to hang things, and lots of space to stack stuff when nobody is riding on the back, or if the older child just wants to stand there, but if they want to SIT, it is harder. I can make more suggestions if you like, but you might just want to look at one while you are at Target or Toys R Us or something and see what I mean.

First, would recommend taking a smaller stroller. 2nd, please look out for the peeps around you. Got sore heels from Strollers and wheelchairs being steered by people more interested in the scenery than my personal safetyLOL

The WORST part in terms of pushing a stroller is the people who dart right in front of you, or STOP like 3 inches in front of your stroller, and expect you to swerve out of the way, etc. That being said, I FULLY affirm that there are tons of stroller-pushers who are ridiculously irresponsible when pushing (read: hurtling) their children in the paths of others.

Take that for what it's worth (I realize your decision will not be made primarily--or even remotely--based on the preferences of a CM who could potentially move your stroller somewhere different from where you left it), but there you go.

I still think it is worth saying, and one of the things that should be considered. There ARE narrow paths, and even wide paths become incredibly tight when crowded. Anyone ever try to make their way toward Fantasmic's 2nd show in the summer through Adventureland with a stroller? I finally had to make a human "traffic break" and run my hand along the wall of the Riverbelle Terrace (you know that curved wall that is really a bottleneck there) and have my other arm out at a 45 degree angle, causing the oncoming people to kind of "merge" away, down my body, leaving a path for my family AND the other families desperately trying to get through. There was no DL GC working that area that night, and NO flow going that direction. Shoulda been a long story short, lol... you want the smallest footprint you can, I guess.

Thanks everyone for your input. We'll probably end up buying a little stroller - renting isn't really an option, since we'll be walking back and forth from Hojo with my little guy when he needs a break.

Just one last thing - after reading all the comments - I don't really see how my jogger is bigger/wider than the double side by side.

I think you know your stroller, and are probably right that yours might not be bigger than a double-wide, but as PanFan said, when you are trying to move multiples it behaves differently. Aside from that, though, I think it would be MORE maneuverable than a standard double.

Pirate Princess
09-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Jeep makes a fairly narrow double umbrella stroller... Google "Jeep Wrangler Twin Stroller" but the price is typically $90. Might be a good solution for the person looking for a double stroller. Combi makes one too (a bit nicer and a bit more expensive).

If purchasing a new stroller take my advice: DARKER IS BETTER!!!!!!! (It is hard to clean a light colored stroller.. and they WILL get dirty at DL).

HisKid
09-11-2008, 08:43 AM
If purchasing a new stroller take my advice: DARKER IS BETTER!!!!!!! (It is hard to clean a light colored stroller.. and they WILL get dirty at DL).

This is so true. I had someone buy me an umbrella stroller for a baby gift for my 2nd. She was so well-meaning, but it was WHITE canvas (which means not even washable!!!), with little tiny duckies every so often. Um... we might have returned it to get a SLIGHTLY different one. Like dark grey, lol.

CdnMkyFan
09-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post, although I have been lurking for ages. :D

We went last Sept. with our then 9mth old and 2.5 yr old, we had just bought a Joovy sit and stand, it was the perfect stroller. Not too big but big enough for the little one to sleep and the older one to rest. Plus has enough storage space underneath to carry all of our necessities. No issues getting around anywhere in the parks. Also we had no issues at all with anyone trying to steal our stroller or anything we left in it.

kohl
09-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Just one last thing - after reading all the comments - I don't really see how my jogger is bigger/wider than the double side by side. I would think that the side by side would be harder to move around narrow walkways. Our stroller is pretty easy to manuver (the front wheel swivels, which makes it nice). I guess it's just longer....anyway...that doesn't really matter.I agree with you. We have a BOB stroller (single) and love it. They really are no bigger than a regular stroller. They are also SO much easier to push than a regular stroller. For our older 2 kids, we used a double wide jogging stroller and never had a problem. Well, the only problem we ever had was that it didn't fit through the gates at CA. That was the only problem. Since this is a single stroller, we are planning on taking it when we go for our baby's first trip in October.

fronkfam
09-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Is there any way the 4 year old could ride on the lap of your older child in the wheelchair? My wife loved holding our kids and all when I puched her around DL the last time.

Great idea, but not an option for us. Would love it if we could though!