PDA

View Full Version : The nightly helicopters

nursechrissy32
09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Soooo who knows? The helicopters at night over DLand...is this the wind police, checking wind before fireworks? haha.....

Malcon10t
09-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Soooo who knows? The helicopters at night over DLand...is this the wind police, checking wind before fireworks? haha.....More like there is this huge road right behind Disneyland called I-5...

Wind is checked from the ground, watch for the white balloons.

nursechrissy32
09-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Ummm Malcon...thank you.... I know there is I-5....but helicopters every night?

Malcon10t
09-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Ummm Malcon...thank you.... I know there is I-5....but helicopters every night?Yep, they are flying nightly. Between the local PDs and CHP helicopters and the various news organizations, I have no doubt you'd be seeing at least 1 throughout the night. Remember, Disneyland is basically at the intersection of 5/57/91. It can often look like they are flying closer to Disneyland because of that.

Just did a little checking and found Anaheim PD alone flies 2 helicopters a night. They have 3 and can have 3 in the air as needed.

cstephens
09-01-2008, 10:41 PM
We've seen military planes flying overhead as well. It's not like Disney has any control over that sort of thing.

Autopia Guy
09-02-2008, 01:30 AM
We've seen military planes flying overhead as well. It's not like Disney has any control over that sort of thing.

Disney has no control over the air space above the park. And the restriction is for something like a 2 mile radius and up to only like 3,000 feet. Fly above that and you are not in a restricted zone. And if you want to fly in that air space, just call ATC and they will clear you, of course given that there aren't explosives (read:fireworks) being launched into the air at that time.

As for the Helis ever night. Traffic reports, APD Copters, Medivac Copters, ect. Heck, I've even seen a Coast Guard Copter and Army Copters.

The APD and Traffic ones make sense though. APD because D-Land is in the middle of the not so nicest part of Anaheim and Traffic ones because of I-5.

CV12Pirate
09-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Life in the big city. Here in Silicon Valley there is always something flying around up there, always.

pixar
09-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Wind is checked from the ground, watch for the white balloons.

A little off-topic...are these simple helium-filled balloons? They just follow the path of these balloons and see how fast they're going? I wonder how far they go before they land/drop. :)

adriennek
09-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Just did a little checking and found Anaheim PD alone flies 2 helicopters a night. They have 3 and can have 3 in the air as needed.

Our community has a helicopter but it doesn't fly every night. The criminals in town know it, too. Crime is higher the nights it DOESN'T fly. They've actually caught people and asked them "What were you doing out there tonight?" and they've said "Well the helicopter isn't out on ---day's."

Adrienne

janell
09-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Our community has a helicopter but it doesn't fly every night. The criminals in town know it, too. Crime is higher the nights it DOESN'T fly. They've actually caught people and asked them "What were you doing out there tonight?" and they've said "Well the helicopter isn't out on ---day's."

Adrienne

Why don't they mix up what nights they fly so no one knows if they are flying or not?

adriennek
09-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Why don't they mix up what nights they fly so no one knows if they are flying or not?

Let's not be logical. ;)

I don't know the answer, though.

Adrienne

MickeyM00C0w
09-02-2008, 11:19 AM
A little off-topic...are these simple helium-filled balloons? They just follow the path of these balloons and see how fast they're going? I wonder how far they go before they land/drop. :)

They're just normal, white balloons (one is gigantic though). Usually one is let off from the right side of Mainstreet on top of the Kodak store (Coffee place? the store on the right closest to the castle) and another is let off in front of the castle. All it is for is to test how strong the winds are and to make sure they are blowing in the right direction (we want the winds blowing towards the freeway, not the residential areas).

biolabetty
09-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I used to live about 6 minutes away from Disneyland, and I don't miss the nightly helicopters where I live now. It used to be every night, and sometimes their light would even flash inside our apartment. I really loved the time around 2 A.M. when the lights were going on the helicopter outside our apartment, and they said over their loudspeaker "He's over there!". We moved pretty soon after that. The only time we have a helicopter now is if they are looking for someone, or we have another brushfire.

CV12Pirate
09-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Because as soon as that baby takes off, everybody knows it. For the same reason people complain, they make noise.

Helicopters don't fly... they beat the air into submission!

BuNo148999

Pirate Princess
09-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I thought helicopters ALWAYS flew before fireworks. I actually thought it was a law. Every year at the 4th there is a helicopter that flies above before our fireworks. And I remember a helicopter always flying above Disneyland before every firework show.
I live in an area where there are NEVER helicopters in the air. Can't imagine our police department or any neighboring ones even own one. They must fly the helicopter in from a 100+ miles away before each 4th of July so there must be a reason. Anyone else?

Malcon10t
09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Why would a helicopter fly before fireworks?

Even in our "small" town, the CHP runs 2 helicopters. Generally for search and rescue, but wasn't too long ago I was awoke at 1am or so to a bright huge light shining in my room, only to figure out it was the CHP helicopter and they were chasing someone.

nursechrissy32
09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Malcon..

Oh my gosh, this happend to me too! My husband and I woke up with our hearts in our throats! Apparantly there was a bad guy under a step out portion of our house! OMG! Imagine being woken up by the heli hovering over your house, police dogs and cops yelling "get down, get down"....uhhhhhh we were in the front yard within like 2 seconds with the kids! Uhhhhhhhhh just bringing that up, scares me again!

I was thinking too that there is a helicopter before each fireworks...maybe it is just like everyone is saying in the above posts. I am sure lots of people like to take a heli ride above Disneyland at night, I bet it is pretty.

Malcon10t
09-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I was thinking too that there is a helicopter before each fireworks...maybe it is just like everyone is saying in the above posts. I am sure lots of people like to take a heli ride above Disneyland at night, I bet it is pretty.Having done it by plane, it is better by daylight. And the area where the fireworks are would be in the restricted area, and the ATC won't let you down during that. I think the fireworks and helicopter is simply coincidence. But, I will try and ask someone who would know better than I. If I can tonight, I will monitor what helicopters are in the area.

Pirate Princess
09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
It's usually a half hour or less before the fireworks start... let me know. I feel like there is more to this than just a coincidence... but I have been wrong before...

Malcon10t
09-03-2008, 06:18 PM
It's usually a half hour or less before the fireworks start... let me know. I feel like there is more to this than just a coincidence... but I have been wrong before...Since all flights in the LA area are required to fly with transponders, they are easy to track. Are there fireworks tonight? I'll try and remember to track the area.

janell
09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Let's not be logical. ;)

I don't know the answer, though.

Adrienne

Oh your funny. Your right that was to smart of an idea. lol

janell
09-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Because as soon as that baby takes off, everybody knows it. For the same reason people complain, they make noise.

Helicopters don't fly... they beat the air into submission!

BuNo148999

Thats true you would hear them. But I would hope if someone was going to do something thats not right, that the helicopters could spoil their plan. In the end they will find away, but why not make it harder on them?:)