PDA

View Full Version : Just more pooh

Pages : [1] 2

TecTalker2K
10-15-2002, 09:44 AM
Am I the only one that is less than thrilled about the opening of Winnie the Pooh? I waited for a long time to have a new attraction and we get stuck with a kiddie ride. They should have torn out one of the Fantasyland attractions and replaced it. At least CBJ had some redeeming social value..

mrcoffee
10-15-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by TecTalker2K
Am I the only one that is less than thrilled about the opening of Winnie the Pooh? I waited for a long time to have a new attraction and we get stuck with a kiddie ride. They should have torn out one of the Fantasyland attractions and replaced it. At least CBJ had some redeeming social value..

Yeah, heaven forbid Disney make a kiddie ride.

EandCDad
10-15-2002, 09:49 AM
I'm glad to see a new ride coming in. I like that its a ride my kids will enjoy. I hope its an interesting ride, but I'll wait till I ride it before I decide if I like it or not.

I always liked Country Bears and would visit it every time I went to the park (unlike most people judging by the crowds). If they could have put Pooh into an empty space and left Country Bears, I woulda been happy, but I'm glad they are replacing it with what looks like a fun (albeit not spectacular) ride, rather than say, nothing.

Ghoulish Delight
10-15-2002, 09:59 AM
I'm actually really excited about the Pooh ride, the more I read about it (even if the interactive rumor appears to be pure rumor). I'm not a fan of the current Pooh explosion. Pooh has become disgustingly trendy. It does not seem to be about the stories anymore. Somehow I doubt that most of the 13 year old girls running around with eyeore backpacks love the cartoons (disclaimer: I'm well aware that there are pleanty of people who are fans, not just trendyites. I just don't think they are what's driving the pooh explosion). The current Pooh trend is almost purely iconic.

The ride, however, sounds wonderful. It remains to be seen if it's as good as advertised, but as I kid I was a fan of the Pooh cartoons. I'm excited to see heffalumps, blustery days, and witness how bothersome tiggers can be first hand!

mad4mky
10-15-2002, 10:14 AM
At least CBJ had some redeeming social value..

:confused:

And that would be???:confused:

tinkfreak
10-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Well according to today's articale we at least get vehicles that have some kind of "bounce" to them...I was under the impression that we were getting a "cheap" version of the attraction and that wouldn't be happening.

I think a new attraction is a new attraction. We need one. Besides, it will be one more thing I can take my two year old nephew (who loves Pooh anyway) on.

Gemini Cricket
10-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by tinkfreak
Well according to today's articale we at least get vehicles that have some kind of "bounce" to them...I was under the impression that we were getting a "cheap" version of the attraction and that wouldn't be happening.

I think a new attraction is a new attraction. We need one. Besides, it will be one more thing I can take my two year old nephew (who loves Pooh anyway) on.
I'm glad the cars are bouncy, too. I had also heard there was going to be a watered down version @ DL. I'm glad it isn't.

One thing, though, the ride @ WDW was incredibly short. If you didn't look around quick, you'd miss everything. DL's ride seems just as short.

But I'm glad they're putting a new ride in somewhere @ DL. Even if it's Pooh. It also seems to be happening pretty fast for DL. April 2003. That's great!

MickeyD
10-15-2002, 11:04 AM
I'm excited about the ride. I've always loved Eeyore (trendy or not) and I hope he's in it a lot.

Napsto (If you even lurk around us anymore :() - TUMBLY!!:D :D :D

justagrrl
10-15-2002, 11:16 AM
Who cares if it's trendy or not. I don't see what that has to do with it.

I'm looking forward to the new ride. It's a new ride - and looks to be well done.

I think people just look for ways to complain. They complain there hasn't been a new ride...then complain that it's not the "right one". People complained about the music for last years HMH...and now they are complaining that they don't like the music they asked for. :rolleyes:

My family have been long time Pooh fans... so what if I don't like ALL the merchandise. I do like some of it - and what I don't like, someone else probably does. What's so wrong with making a ride and stuff to go with it, that's popular with a large portion of the public?

Shooba
10-15-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
One thing, though, the ride @ WDW was incredibly short. If you didn't look around quick, you'd miss everything. DL's ride seems just as short.

I read on another site the Pooh ride will be 3.5 minutes long, and I believe the typical Fantasyland dark ride is 2.5 minutes long, so it sounds like it will be a decent length, unlike Heimlech's Chew Chew train for example.

daannzzz
10-15-2002, 11:51 AM
I have ridden the one at WDW and it is a nice ride. Nothing spectacular but great for kids and pleasent for adults. Almost all the figures are three dimensional though not anamatronic. They often bounce or rock but do not often move their arms and I don't remember any of them moving their mouths. Alot of the scenery is flat plywood or resign or whatever they use...certainly not cardboard. It is well painted. There are some neat effects inside but the Heffalumps and woozles section is a bit of a letdown. It goes on to long with not alot moving or doing anything. The bouncing Tigger section where the car "bounces" is more of a rocking sensation and is not blatant. If the car floats in the rainy scene, I didn't feel it. From the descritptions so far of the Disneyland version, it sounds like it might be a bit better....hopefully in the heffalump and woozle room.

Morrigoon
10-15-2002, 12:14 PM
I'm not nuts about the Pooh ride because it replaced my beloved Bears. However, if it's at least Disney quality (for once), I won't exactly hate it either - you can't just add E-tickets all the time. Sometimes you need a good B or C ticket attraction. Since Bears were approximately C-ticket, and Pooh (after its newness wears off) will probably also be C-ticket, it's a fair swap. (Why oh why did they have to REMOVE Bears- Critter Country would have benefitted from an ADDITIONAL attraction rather than a replacement.

From the pictures, it doesn't look too shabby.

(Hey uh, guys? Can we get the Bears in DCA please?)

RStar
10-15-2002, 02:56 PM
But those Country Bears are not from California. They are from, what, the Ozarc Mountains or the Black Hills or something? But I guess that hasn't stopped them from adding anything to DCA. The Bugs land is from anywhere in the world they want it to be.

The "Bouning" they talked about sounded like what the ride would be doing all along (picture the Jolly Trolly) and not the "Tigger Bounce Effect". At least that's what I got out of it. So I'm not sure if they were able to save that effect. We will see.

My family like Pooh and Friends, so we will be looking forward to it.

*And I'm so proud of myself for not saying anything about the "more Pooh" title. I'm dedicating this post to monorail man.* :D

Morrigoon
10-15-2002, 03:03 PM
Country Music is very big in the central valley area (you know, all those farms and ranches?)

But hey, if they'd rename the park Disney's America (which they should do anyway), then the Bears could represent the Ozarks/Appalachia/whatever (they actually represent quite a cross section - you had everything from the midwest to the south in the vacation hoedown.

cstephens
10-15-2002, 03:22 PM

I'm not exactly screaming with anticipation for the new ride, and I was sorry to see the Bears go, but I'm glad they're opening up something else there rather than just leaving it empty. We didn't go on the ride when we were at MK a few years ago, but from the looks of the ride here, it seems that it'll be interesting. Not something I'd go on all the time probably, but every once in a while. I have a friend who loves the 100 Acre Woods characters, and she's going to be excited when this opens.

As for replacing an attraction in Fantasyland, a resounding NO from me. Given a choice, I'd rather lose the Bears than any of those attractions.

I don't even know where to go with the "redeeming social value" comment.

HBTiggerFan
10-15-2002, 05:09 PM
I have loved Tigger before Tigger was trendy. While I am sad to see the Bears go (for nistolga value) I am extremely happy that it was replaced so quickly, with a new attraction that will not be shut down after 9 months... and not a movie, walk-through or left empty like so many other attractions to go to yesterland.

I know that I (an adult) will go on this ride with kids or without kids.

innerSpaceman
10-15-2002, 06:22 PM
I will hazzard a guess that the "redeeming social value" of Country Bear Jamboree was its introduction of classic heartland Americana music to modern audiences - - somewhat akin to what happened with O'Brother Where Art Thou and the music phenomena it spawned. I'm not sure that the same could be said of the much longer running Vacation Hoedown, but perhaps a case could be made for that C.B. production as well.

In any event, the Country Bears were, let's face it, not very popular anymore. In fact, they were never as popular at Disneyland as their southern counterparts were at WDW. It's been nearly 30 years that the Bears have been limping along, 20 of those without much of an audience.

I, for one, am just glad (as others have said) that we are getting some kind (any kind) of replacement attraction instead of a shop, a restaurant, or a big empty space. It may not be the attraction of my dreams, but I bet I end up riding it way more than I visited the Country Bear Playhouse.

Lashbear
10-15-2002, 07:32 PM
I don't mind, as I LOVE Disney dark rides anyway - but don't all dark rides based on children's fantasy films belong in Fantasyland ??

Oh well, I guess that Splash Mountain is there as well, it's just that Pooh is so much more of a Fantasyland character than Critter country... or whatever it's going to be called...

Still, I'm sad I'll miss Pooh this visit - it may be 5 years or so before I can come back - by then he'll be a "Willy Nilly Jaded Old Bear" !!

Cheers, Pooh-sters !
Rob :D

Ghoulish Delight
10-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
I don't mind, as I LOVE Disney dark rides anyway - but don't all dark rides based on children's fantasy films belong in Fantasyland ??

Oh well, I guess that Splash Mountain is there as well, it's just that Pooh is so much more of a Fantasyland character than Critter country... or whatever it's going to be called...

Still, I'm sad I'll miss Pooh this visit - it may be 5 years or so before I can come back - by then he'll be a "Willy Nilly Jaded Old Bear" !!

Cheers, Pooh-sters !
Rob :D Actually, Pooh would make a terrible addition to Fantasyland. All the FL dark rides are European based stories (okay, okay, Pooh is British. But the stories take place almost entirely in a forest, not a European city). Therefore, they all theme together quite nicely to create the nice little cottage vs. castle look. Think of Alice. The look of that ride does not quite fit the rest of the FL dark rides. So what did they do? They created a little land within a land with the teacups and the ride. She's got her own little section.

There's no point in shoehorning a ride into a land just because of the type of ride vehicle. Theming comes first. And Pooh certainly fits better in the woodland setting of Critter Country than in Italy next to Pinnochio.

RStar
10-16-2002, 08:17 AM
I agree that it fits fine. In fact it may rename the land eventually to become Poohland. Ok, not THAT name but you get what I mean.

And if all dark rides belong in Fantasyland, then what about Roger Rabbit? That is a good example of a dark ride fit.;)

Ghoulish Delight
10-16-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by RStar
I agree that it fits fine. In fact it may rename the land eventually to become Poohland. Ok, not THAT name but you get what I mean.

And if all dark rides belong in Fantasyland, then what about Roger Rabbit? That is a good example of a dark ride fit.;) The name "Hundred Acre Woods" pops up here an there. There's no real rumor that it will change, but no one would be surprised. And thank you for the RR example. I'm surprised I didn't think of it.

hbquikcomjamesl
10-16-2002, 08:52 AM
much longer running Vacation HoedownHuh? VH lasted longer in DL than the original CBJ did? Surprising, if true. Does anybody have the numbers to either back that up or refute it? Of course, in Florida, the original CBJ started before ours did, and was never abandoned.

As to Roger Rabbit being a "dark ride outside of Fantasyland," not exactly, since Toontown is as much an extension of Fantasyland as Critter Country and NOS are of Frontierland. A better example of a dark ride outside of FL would be HM. Or Indy (all right, a dark ride that has motion-controlled vehicles and little or no UV-based effects). Or the late, lamented Inner Space. Or if we go to Florida, we've got Ellen's Energy Adventure, GMR, SpaceShip Earth, Dinosaur, Maelstrom (a wet dark ride), the Mexico ride (a pointless wet dark ride that's an embarrassment to the sponsoring country), &c.

Hydroman
10-16-2002, 08:58 AM
Dark rides can be appropriate anywhere .... what are POTC, HM, and Indy if not elaborate "dark rides"?

The Fantasyland rides are mostly about people (Alice, Peter Pan, Snow white, etc.). Critter Country is about animals (Brer ____, Pooh and friends). Who knows ..... maybe a Bambi ride is next .... or a Jungle Book ride ......

MartyLuvsTigger
10-16-2002, 10:35 AM
I always wondered why there is no Bambi ride....:confused:

cyeh
10-16-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by MartyLuvsTigger
I always wondered why there is no Bambi ride....:confused:

<BANG> Mommy? Why is Bambi's mother dead?