PDA

View Full Version : DCA and Themed Queues

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
I think that practically all of us would agree that themed queues on an attraction make the wait time go by more quickly. Two major cases in point: Haunted Mansion and Indy.

I am surprised that only a few of the attractions at DCA utilize a themed queue. Recently we went to Monsters Inc. and had about a 45 minute wait. Other than the facade of doors at the entry, and the theming when you are about to board your taxi, it was a long boring queue. And most of it is without any protection from the sun. It seems to me that this is the perfect attraction for a built-in line theme: Doors.

You could pass through many "doors" while navigating the maze of queues and other doors could serve as sun shades above the line. This seems like a very easy (and inexpensive) installation. Also, more of the posters, which are all located in the "inside" queue area, could be scattered about outside, giving you some time to read them and enjoy their humor. Also music from the movie or perhaps sound effects could enhance the wait time experience.

Does anyone else have ideas for ways of improving the theming of queues for DCA and DL? This is a very creative group and I look forward to reading what you all will post.

Bytebear
04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
If money, time and effort were unlimited? My idea would have been to submerge the entire queue of Finding Nemo. You would go down a ramp to an underground hallway and meander underground for a while until the ramp eventually popped back up near the existing loading area. But, here's the catch... In the hallway underground there would be portholes or glass windows into the lagoon, so you could watch the attraction from underwater. This would also free up the above ground path that is currently clogged with queue. Heck, since we are playing pie in the sky, why not decorate the queue with props and designs from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Kind of a retro homage to a long gone attraction.

ginap73
05-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I would make a "it's a small world" style waiting area.. not the music, but all the displays, there would be something new to see everytime you waited in line for whatever ride was there.

nursechrissy32
05-08-2008, 06:44 AM
How fun! :)

I love your door idea. And the Nemo idea is awesome too :) On the nemo one...I would just add to your theme to put an underwater/tunnel aquarium (like the one in San Francisco), fill it with original, colorful real fish, maybe a diver here and there :)

The autopia queue has that large screeen...I think if there were a few other ones with a longer running movie.

:D